I live and work in a smallish district in East TN. While we have excellent schools, we only have 8 Art teachers. Of those Art teachers, maybe 1/2 of them are members of TAEA, two of which are on the TAEA Board! In our last district-wide Art meeting, I asked everyone, "Why haven't you joined TAEA?" Their answer: "I just don't see the benefits of joining..." Yikes!
During our Fall Conference at Watkins College of Art, Design, and Film, our board members had a similar discussion. Why aren't our TN teachers joining? Deborah Reeve, Executive Director of NAEA, was lucky enough to join us for this meeting and shared insight into advancing our membership and benefits. While this may seem like a simple answer, her suggestion was that we just need to talk about it more! TAEA benefits are a well-kept secret among members. Each of us can tell you why we joined but where are our benefits spelled-out for the uninitiated?
Perfect timing! We have just updated our website to better communicate with you so our 'Join' page will also be getting a little added pizzazz.
Here are just a few of the member benefits you get from TAEA:
- As a TAEA member, you have access to free Online Professional Development, including NAEA monthly webinar series, as well as live and archived webinars, sessions, and workshops.
- Access to timely resources, including the new National Visual Arts Standards that support teaching and learning.
- Access to the NEW NAEA Art Standards Toolbox App, a FREE app available exclusively to NAEA members and offers a suite of tools for National Visual Arts Standards-based planning, assessment, archiving, and more!
- Print and digital subscriptions to Art Education journal and NAEA News—NAEA's premiere bi-monthly publications, plus access to digital archives.
- Discounts on NAEA National Convention registration fees and other professional learning events including SummerVision
- Discounts on premiere publications and advocacy merchandise in NAEA’s Online Store
- Connect with colleagues through the Member Directory, showcase your art through a complimentary personalized e-Portfolio powered by Digication, and/or display your students' artwork in a Classroom Gallery provided by Artsonia
- Eligibility for prestigious national awards and grant opportunities
- Eligibility to establish a National Art Honor Society in your middle or secondary school
- Discounts on a variety of insurance programs including Professional Liability Insurance, Life Insurance, Disability Insurance, Health Insurance, Auto & Home Insurance, and Additional Plans & Benefits